Friday, May 28, 2010

Long awaited update!

Wow! I’m embarrassed at how long it’s been since I have updated the blog! Spring means Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge is field trip central, we have hosted more than 1,400 students and parents at the refuge since I last wrote. Plus, I am working full tilt on our big summer party: BioBlitz Festival 2010! More on that later…

If you are worried about missing out on the Osprey, don’t fret. Since I last wrote the nest is pretty much status quo. Female incubates the eggs, male hunts fish, he brings home dinner, she accepts the fish-flies off and eats, returns and they switch places again.

BUT! Today is the day! Day 36! If my calculations are correct I except the eggs to hatch today. With the spring cold weather, we will have to wait and see. I am watching closely to see if the female changes her behavior. For the first week of life, the young osprey are not able to keep themselves warm (thermoregulate). The female will still sit tightly on the nest, especially on cold windy days like today, and keep the young warm. Look for feeding behavior: both parents will feed the young.

Our awesome partners, Fiberpipe Internet Services and Gem State Communications have had their hands full keeping the wireless and solar panels up and running during this wet, cold and windy spring. We have another maintenance visit scheduled for June 1st. After that, the cam should be up and running during daylight hours.

If you want to see the osprey in person, there is no better day to visit than June 12th. See the next post and celebrate biodiversity.